Mother’s Day is on the second Sunday of May. A day to honor and show appreciation to all mothers and women.
It was an important day in my family growing up. I want to pass on this tradition to my kids and help them understand the importance of motherhood.
In this blog post, there are 10 ways to help your child prepare for Mother’s Day through fun and simple activities.
Also, there are beautiful low prep Chinese Mother’s Day Printables below.
The post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you. If you make a purchase through a link. See the Disclosure for more details.
Table of Contents
Scroll down to the bottom to look at the freebies.
How would you describe your mother?
She didn’t graduate from high school or have a prestigious career. But, she did work hard as a private tutor to pay for our schooling.
She worked non-stop never taking a break for herself. She even took care of me when I had my 3rd and 4th child.
When I was over-tired and stress, she took care of my children so that I could re-charge and have a break.
After work, she cooked and cleaned for us, and even read Chinese books and taught my children.
She is an amazing mother, grandmother, and my example and model of my life. I strive to be like her every day and the best mother for my children.
How about you?
How would you like to spend Mother’s Day?
It sounds selfish, right?
Yet, all moms deserve a break for themselves.
I love my children and family, nothing could ever replace. But a day with my friends makes me feel recharged and better able to care for my family.
Let me know the comments, how you would like to spend Mother’s Day!
We should celebrate Mother’s Day with all women
Even though some women have no children we should celebrate their sacrifice, service, and love. They may be your child’s teachers, neighbor, the cashier from the store, etc.
During the time we spent living in Hong Kong, we met so many amazing women who treated my children like their own. For example, my husband’s coworkers, my high-school friends, a worker from McDonald, a security guard in our building, an old lady we met at the local park, and more. I will always thankful for them.
To All Mothers, you are Doing Better than You Think You are
I would like to share my favorite quote. It’s from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles about motherhood. This always gives me hope to move forward.
“Thank you for your crucial role in fulfilling the purposes of eternity.” To all mothers in every circumstance, including those who struggle—and all will—I say, “Be peaceful. Believe in God and yourself. You are doing better than you think you are. In fact, you are saviors on Mount Zion, and like the Master you follow, your love ‘never faileth.”
(Behold Thy Mother, Oct 2015 General Conference)
And I know it. It’s why you’re spending personal time finding Children’s Chinese learning activities right now.
10 Ways to Help Children Prepare for Mother’s Day
Below are ten ways to start. Let me know which one(s) is your favorite.
1. Show your Child How you celebrate with your mother
Involve you, child, in planning, preparing, and hosting a celebration for their grandmother. This is a great way to show how and why motherhood is important.
2. Share Pregnancy and Birth Photos
Children often don’t realize that their mother wasn’t born a mother. That they grew up and learned like them. So, Share pregnancy photos, birth photos, newborn photos, and so on. Your children will learn about themselves and how you take care of them.
3. Share stories of their grandmothers
Share stories about their grandmothers. Help your child learn more about their family. Share different stories of how they raised their families and about their lives.
4. Teach skills to help with chores
One of the easiest ways for your child to learn and prepare to be a future parent is to teach them a life skill. Things such as chores, cooking, and cleaning.
5. Make Homemade Mother’s Day Gifts
Children love making gifts for everyone, especially for their own families. Create some great memories by making Mother’s Day gifts together.
6. Plan and prepare for Mother’s Day dinner
Having good food is important for any celebration. Involve children in planning and preparing the Mother’s Day feast. It is a great way to help them get involved and to be ready.
7. Learn and sing a song about Mother’s Day
Young children may not able to take part in preparing dinner and creating gifts. But they can learn and sing a song for their mothers with their little sweet voice.
8. Read and learn stories about Mothers
It is the perfect time to read and learn about mothers from the past. Include stories from different countries, cultures, periods, and beliefs.
9. Try babysitting
Allow your older children to babysit their siblings or for other families. They learn a little about what it takes to be a mother and can develop compassion and love toward little kids.
10. Document what a mother does in a day
Ask your child to get a paper and write about what mothers do in a day. It helps them to realize how many things mothers do in families.
Free Printables: Chinese & English Mother’s Day Activity Booklet
Let Take a look inside the Mother’s Day Activity Booklet
There is a total of 6 pages with an area to draw the picture and a simple sentence about mothers.
In the back, I included a well-known Tang poem “Song of the Wanderer”, written from 孟郊 Mèng Jiāo. It’s a perfect Chinese poem that reflects on love from a mother.
You can teach your kids and host a Chinese tea party to read and learn this Tang poem together.
Language Versions that You Can Get
- English with Traditional Chinese
- English with Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
- Traditional Chinese with Jyutping
- Traditional Chinese with Pinyin
- Traditional Chinese Zhuyin
- Simplified Chinese
- Simplified Chinese with Pinyin
Materials that You Need to make a Mother’s Day Activity Booklet
- FREE Mother’s Day Activity Booklet
- Printer and printing paper
- Any type of coloring utensil: markers, coloring pencil, crayon, dot-a-dot
How to prepare the Mother’s Day Activity Booklet
- Print the printable out double-sided
- Fold and cut the printable in half
- Fold each page and put it in the right order
- Staple the middle and make it a booklet
Even my 9 years old is in the US right now, and it’ll be my first Mother’s Day without her, but I’m glad she can still use this printable to make a little distance Mother’s Day gift for me.
It’ll be a memorable Mother’s Day for both of us. Can’t wait to give her a big hug and kiss.
If you enjoy this freebie, please let us know! I’d love to know if it’s a good resource. Don’t forget to leave a comment and tag @fortunecookiemom on Instagram and Facebook!
>> If you are a subscriber already, go to the Chinese Resource Library to download this freebie.
Videos of “Song of the Wanderer”
Videos in Mandarin
Video in Cantonese
Extra Resources to Teach about Mother’s Day
Mother’s Day Chinese Songs
- 5 Chinese Mother’s Day Songs & Printable Lyrics from Spot of Sunshine
- 世上只有妈妈好 (Shi shang zhi you mama hao) from Mama Lisa’s World
- Top 5 Modern Chinese Songs About Father and Mother from Musicac Rossasia
Mother’s Day Printables
- Cards Chinese Mother’s Day Cards – Free Printable in Simplified and Traditional Chinese from Chalk Academy
- Free Printable: Mother’s Day Card 母親節卡片from Spot of Sunshine
- Chinese Mandarin Mother’s Day Card Templates from Twinkl
- Mother’s Day Preschool Printables from Preschool Mom
Mother’s Day Craft
- 52 Easy Mother’s Day Crafts to Make with Your Kids from Country Living
- 25+ Mothers Day Craft for Kids – Most Wonderful Card, Keepsakes ad More! From Easy Peasy and Fun
Mother’s Day Activities
- 40 Super Fun Mother’s Day Activity Ideas to Make Lasting Memories from Good House Keeping
- 12 Awesome Mother’s Day Surprises Teachers Can Still Help Pull Off Virtually from We Are Teachers
All women and mothers deserve honor and respect, especially during Mother’s Day. Let’s celebrate the amazing women in our lives! A mother’s sacrifice and effort are beyond anything. I strive to be better every day.
Let’s show our children we embrace our divine role as a mother. Let’s show our children we may not be perfect but we are trying our best. Finally. let’s express our love and respect for all women.
May you have a wonderful Mother’s Day. Remember you are full of value, talents, gifts, power, and love. Even if it may not feel it.
You Might be Interested
- Motherhood means love: Mother’s Day quotes from around the world from Global Fund for Women
- 4 Ways to Honor All Women on Mother’s Day from Pushpay
- 10 Fun Ways To Celebrate Mother’s Day from Wheels for Wishes
- 58 Best Mother’s Day Gifts that Are as Unique and Heartfelt as Your #1 Lady from Good House Keeping
- 30 Brilliant Gifts for Mom that Will Make Her Day from CNN Underscored
You Are Not Doing it Alone
Join my Facebook support group to meet and get connections with parents and educators with the same goals.
身为职业妈妈的我,常常牺牲睡眠来自作教材。版主全方位学习的新年教材真让我省下不少宝贵的时间找资料。四岁的女儿对中文学习有点抗拒。我们善用版主提供的迷你故事书和生字卡来增强她对语文的认识。版主的中文单词棋盘游戏更让女儿投入学习, 因为她想赢嘛！版主的教材可让小孩边玩边学, 太棒了。
This is the second 5-Day Challenge that we have done with Fortune Cookie Mom. Both have been very beneficial to our family. I am a homeschool mom of three little kids. We are not Chinese and do not speak any Chinese. With the help of Fortune Cookie Mom, we are slowly learning! The challenges have given me fun activities to do at home with the kids. Each one has reignited my kid's interest in learning. It has been a fun experience for everybody!